Year 11 - General Maths Unit 1-2
VCE Units 1 and 2 General Mathematics
General Mathematics is designed to provide access to worthwhile and challenging mathematical learning in a way which takes into account the needs and aspirations of a wide range of students. It is also designed to promote students’ awareness of the importance of mathematics in everyday life in a technological society, and confidence in making effective use of mathematical ideas, techniques and processes.
Students will use the CAS (Computer Algebra Systems) calculator as a learning tool to enhance their understanding of the above concepts.
Students will engage in the following mathematical activities within the areas of study:
- Apply knowledge and skills: Learning and practising mathematical algorithms, routines and techniques, and using them to find solutions to standard problems.
- Model, investigate and solve problems: The application of mathematical knowledge and skills in situations that range from well-defined and familiar to open-ended and unfamiliar, including situations that require investigative, modelling or problem solving approaches.
- Use technology: The effective and appropriate use of technology to produce results, which support learning mathematics and its application in different contexts.
Main Assessment Tasks: Tasks will include components to be completed with and without the use of technology
– Skills based tasks (for example, tests)
- Modelling, problem-solving and mathematical investigations
- End of Unit Examination
Students will develop knowledge based around the following areas of study:
- Arithmetic and Number – Computational and practical arithmetic, Financial arithmetic
- Statistics – Investigating and comparing data distributions, Investigating relationships between two numerical variables
- Algebra and Structure – Linear relations and equations
- Graphs on linear and non linear relations – Linear graphs and models, Inequalities and Linear Programming
- Discrete Mathematics – Graphs and networks, Number patterns and recursion
- Text book – see the booklist for the correct title and edition
- CAS calculator – TI-nspire CX
- Folder or exercise books
- Digital device
- Unit 1 and 2 General Mathematics leads directly into the Unit 3 and 4 Further Mathematics.